Minnesotan’s love the outdoors! A small recreation fire is one of the many outdoor enjoyments. When starting a recreation fire please keep safety in mind. The following are some helpful hints to make sure you and your family stay safe.
What is a recreation fire?
- Any fire 3’x3’x3’ or smaller is considered a recreation fire. If your fire is larger than 3’x3’x3’ you MUST obtain a Burn Permit.
What Can I burn in my recreational fire?
- You may burn wood. Prohibited items include: brush, yard waste, treated or painted lumber, trash, mattresses or rubbish.
What should I do before I start my recreational fire?
- Check the current weather and wind conditions on the National Weather Service website. If winds are less than 15mph you may burn your fire. Also, check the fire danger level at dnr.state.mn.us/forestry/fire/firerating_restrictions.html.
Other Items to note
- Please be a good neighbor and make sure your enjoyment isn’t causing your neighbor to have a burden or other nuisances from your fire.
- A Police Officer or Fire Officer may ask you to extinguish a recreation fire if a nuisance or violations exist.